Did you know Tivoli, a small city 15 miles east of Rome, boasts 3 Unesco sites? On this tour, we are going to visit 2 of them: Hadrian’s Villa is an archeological park set amidst beautiful olive groves, once the residence of the emperor Hadrian; Villa d’Este has won the award for being the most beautiful garden in Europe, and was once the residence of a wealthy cardinal, Ippolito d’Este, in the mid-1500’s.
The emperor Hadrian lived in the 2. century, at the time when the Roman Empire had reached its largest extent. Hadrian’s Villa, his residence near Tivoli, covered 200 acres, and included the palace, guest houses, baths, 2 theatres, libraries, garden pavilions, barracks for the imperial guard, housing for hundreds of servants, a farm and even a lighthouse to signal the presence of the emperor all the way to Rome. It was an incredible place, with hundreds of statues, artworks everywhere, mosaic floors in most rooms, precious marble facing the walls. Most of the decoration is gone (about 700 statues originally from Hadrian’s Villa can be seen in different museums in Rome and around the world), but the remains are truly spectacular and the idyllic setting in the Roman countryside is really enjoyable after the hustle and bustle of the big city.
A short drive, and we reach the small town of Tivoli, where we’ll visit Villa d’Este, the residence of Cardinal Ippolito d’Este, son of the infamous Lucrezia Borgia and grandson of pope Alexander VI Borgia. He was appointed governeur of Tivoli in 1550 and decided to build this magnificent mansion surrounded by gardens which are rightly considered to be among the best in the world. Hundreds of fountains, a water-organ, fishponds, centuries-old trees and colorful flowers will take us back to the time when cardinals, princes and even the pope walked down the shady paths of this wonderful garden.
Looking for a truly unforgettable experience, or the perfect way to celebrate a special occasion? Let me arrange a lunch reservation at one of the best restaurants in Italy! La Sibilla offers a unique location, with an outdoor area including the remains of two beautifully preserved ancient Roman temples and overlooking the waterfalls of Villa Gregoriana, Tivoli’s third Unesco site. The restaurant’s cuisine is a gastronomic pleasure not to be missed! From the emperor of Japan to the King of Nepal, from Princess Margaret to the US Vicepresident, many crowned heads and celebrities have dined enjoying the outstanding food and the uncomparable views offered by La Sibilla. A day trip to Tivoli is a wonderful opportunity to add this to your holiday’s highlights!
This tour involves quite a bit of walking on uneven terrain. Comfy shoes, a water bottle, sunblock/hat are essential. There are facilities at the entrance to both villas.
Mappa Google con itinerario e luoghi visitati
Cost guideline – What’s included
|Duration of tour||1-3 people (limo)||4-6 people (van)|
|Up to 6 hours||600,00 EUR||690,00 EUR|
|+ each additional hour||100,00 EUR||115,00 EUR|
- For larger groups, I’ll be happy to send you a quote.
- The tour rate includes your private guided tour + private driver – price is total, not per person. Pick up will be at your accomodation, provided it is in the city centre.
- Entrance tickets, meals, snacks and gratuities not included in above rates. Headsets are not included (only needed with 6+ people).
- Entrance tickets to the Hadrian’s Villa and Villa d’Este are not included and have to be purchased on site (cash or credit card); for each person, consider about 24,00 EUR total (children under 18 are free). Since entry fees can vary when temporary exhibitions are held at the site, updated entry fees will be listed in the detailed trip summary you’ll get upon sending a request/booking.
- Please note that we reserve the right to vary the prices shown on this website at any time before you book (during Bank Holidays, National Holidays, Christmas Holidays, Easter Holidays, or last minute bookings). From April 1st to October 30th, last minute bookings (less than 3 days prior to the tour) are subject to a 15% surcharge.
You will be advised of the current price at the time of booking. Once you have booked we will not increase your tour price other than for changes in VAT or any other Venues or Government imposed levy.
- Cancellation Policy & Refunds