If you have heard a lot about Pompei, would love to see an ancient Roman city, but are wondering if a 3 ½ hours journey is worth it, look no further! In 45 minutes, let me take you to Ostia Antica, the ancient port of Rome, every bit as interesting as Pompei.
Ostia experienced its peak between the 1. century B.C. and the 2. century, when it was a bustling city of about 50.000 inhabitants (to have an idea of its size, keep in mind Pompei had just 15.000!). Ostia was the port were the goods imported from all corners of the Roman Empire reached the capital, and it was the place were people would stay waiting to board the ships when embarking on a trip to some far-away province.
With the fall of the Roman Empire, it was abandoned, pillaged, overgrown by vegetation, damaged by earthquakes. The ruins got systematically excavated only from the 1920’s on: that’s the main reason why Ostia is less famous than Pompei. Pompei has been around for travelers to visit since the 1700’s, and was often described by artists and famous writers; besides, the dramatic way Pompei was destroyed by the eruption of Mount Vesuvius, added a lot to the fascination of the place.
In Ostia, you’ll find yourself immersed in an ancient Roman city: you’ll see not only the mosaic-covered public baths, the stunning theatre and the impressive remains of the temples, but also shops, restaurants, toilets, apartment buildings, nice homes for the middle-class. It’s the perfect place to see not only great ruins, but to experience how the Romans lived their everyday life. It’s also a perfect place for your kids to enjoy!
For the maximum comfort, book a limo/van service for this tour! Your guide and your driver will pick you up at your accomodation, and together you’ll drive to Ostia (about 25 to 40’ depending on starting point and traffic). Just insert this option as an add-on in the booking form.
This tour takes us to one of the largest archeological areas in the world, so it involves quite a bit of walking on uneven terrain. Comfy shoes, a water bottle, sunblock/hat are essential. There are facilities at the entrance to the park, and a cafeteria/bookshop inside, towards the far end.
Mappa Google con itinerario e luoghi visitati
Cost guideline – What’s included
|Duration of tour||1-2 people||3-4 people||5-6 people||7-8 people|
|Up to 4 hours||240,00 EUR||260,00 EUR||280,00 EUR||320,00 EUR|
|+ each additional hour||60,00 EUR||65,00 EUR||70,00 EUR||80,00 EUR|
- For larger groups, I’ll be happy to send you a quote.
- The tour rate includes your private guided tour – price is total, not per person.
- Transportation, meals, snacks and gratuities not included in above rates. Headsets are not included (only needed with 8+ people).
- Entrance tickets to Ostia Antica are not included and have to be bought on site (cash or credit card); for each person, consider about 10,00 EUR (children under 18 are free). Since entry fees can vary when temporary exhibitions are held at the site, updated entry fees will be listed in the detailed trip summary you’ll get upon sending a request/booking.
- Transportation to Ostia Antica and back is not included unless you book the additional van service. Ostia can be easily reached by public tranport. We can meet at Piramide Station and ride the local train to Ostia together, tickets are just 3,00 EUR per person round trip.
- If you prefer the comfort of your own chauffered van, just book the add-on service.
Limo service for the entire duration of the tour (up to 3 passengers + guide + driver) is 180,00 EUR; van (up to 6 passengers + guide + driver) is 200,00 EUR.
- Please note that we reserve the right to vary the prices shown on this website at any time before you book (during Bank Holidays, National Holidays, Christmas Holidays, Easter Holidays, or last minute bookings). From April 1st to October 30th, last minute bookings (less than 3 days prior to the tour) are subject to a 15% surcharge.
You will be advised of the current price at the time of booking. Once you have booked we will not increase your tour price other than for changes in VAT or any other Venues or Government imposed levy.
- Cancellation Policy & Refunds